When you Have a Handy Husband You get New Floors!

So, two weekends ago we ripped up the floor on the sitting area of the living room to bring the floor up level with the rest of the house.  That was the project before the project.  This weekend it was time to tackle ripping out the carpet and installing the new floors.

When we ripped up the carpet under the living room we found that there were pretty nice looking hardwoods under the floor.  We had a lot of comments that we should restore it, but since the front room is now a plywood base and our house is a bit on the cold side I wanted the extra layer the new flooring would add.  Also, when we ripped up the dining room area, the hardwoods had been covered with a thin layer of vinyl.  It was disgusting. We had to rip and tear and scrape the vinyl off the floor.  We ended up spending most of the first day scrapping vinyl and glue off the floor, and didn’t get to get started laying the underlay and actually start installing the floor until late in the day so we didn’t get very far.

Day number two started off better.  We got to work cutting and installing.  My husband refreshed my memory on how to use the chop saw and I had my first experience with the jig saw.  We had a productive morning until we realized we were going to have to make some really narrow cuts in the flooring and neither the chop saw, skill saw or jig saw was going to work.  We decided to break for lunch, a trip to the hardware store for a table saw, and to pick up our son.  When we returned home my husband made the needed cuts and we were able to get back on track.  Having the right tools makes all the difference. At around one o’clock in the morning we decided to call it quits until the morning. Everything hurt. EVERYTHING. (Note to self.  Make sure the bathtub is clean before you do anything that might make you think a soak in an Epsom salt bathed a good idea.  I didn’t have energy to clean the tub, and had to make do with a shower.)

Day number three was back at it cutting and clicking the flooring into place with a break for the little’s egg hunt.

20160327_102105

When we were done hunting eggs, I clicked more pieces together until my husband sent me with the little to Grammy’s house.  When we returned a few hours later, the hubby was laying the final piece into place.

12321435_10207788212036175_6728204010968400347_n

 

This has by far been one of my favorite projects with my husband.  We only wanted to strangle each other once.  There was awesome team work on this project and I got to use power tools, (which if you’ve never done I recommend you try, always under the supervision of a capable adult of course.)  It also just so happened our kitchen project from a few years ago popped up in my facebook newsfeed.  I find it a little ironic that we pick the same exact days every few years to do our projects.  I wonder what next years will be?

Advertisement

No More Construction Zone: DIY Magazine Bathroom

The construction zone is finally gone (for now) and we now have a magazine bathroom.  New Floor, Paint, Vanity, Mirror, Cabinets.  All DIY with the exception of laying the floor tile.  (The tile we had help with.) This is probably one of the most satisfying projects we have completed so far in our little old house.

As soon as we get rid of all the dust from this project I’m excited to plan the next one.

When You have a Handy Husband- You Talk about Floors then Tear down Walls Instead

When you have a handy husband your three day weekend starts off with a conversation about redoing the floors in your house.  During this discussion you mention that if you really want to to do the floors it would make more sense to tear down the partial wall in between the living room and the dining room before new floors went in because if that’s a project on the list.  Otherwise you would end up having to do the floors twice.  Your husband agrees and you can hear the excitement in his voice as he has been waiting on an okay to tear down some walls for a while.  He arranges for a friend to come help him undertake this endeavor.

The sheet rock gets taken off to expose shiplap and we carefully took off as much as we could  to reuse somewhere else in the house (I was also happy to see today that someone stopped by and salvaged the rest out of the trash pile to use in their own project.)  After that it was tearing down the wood frame that was there and then adding a bit of new framing for reinforcement.  It was amazingly simple and inexpensive and I’m almost sorry we waited so long as it changes the entire feel of the house.

We still have some more finishing to do, painting and adding trim, but all in all I’m excited with what was accomplished. . . This little 1950’s house is becoming more and more what we imagined when we moved in and it’s quite exciting.  The next project will be the floors, coming soon. . .10989170_10205609266283893_183742528957277561_n 17662_10205609617452672_6632948037998140884_n


(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});