I have collected the supplies for the child’s Halloween costume endeavour. As per my usual ways I have looked at a million pictures, pinned and printed ideas and bought what I think I need. I will probably not follow a single pattern I have printed (except for ears that I already cut out except they weren’t even a pattern but a cutout of a picture. . .) I will end up hand sewing most of it because my sewing machine and I have an on again off again relationship (aka I am scared of the sewing machine) and it will not look anything like I hoped. . . A few times the thoughts have flown through my head “What the eff are you doing?” and I tell those thoughts, “Back off, I am making my child a costume. I can and will do it and he will be adorable, also I’m crafting and crafting makes me happy.”
Wish me luck. . .
Last year I made my little one his very first homemade costume and I hope to keep up the trend this year. There are so many cute DIY costumes out there that it’s hard to choose. My sewing machine and I do not always get along and I actually am better at hand sewing things so last year I picked a dinosaur costume to make. I got a little inspiration off of Pinterest and kind of winged it from there.
I happened upon an army green, dinosaur colored hoodie at Goodwill and then also found some pants that matched. I like working with felt, so I used felt (leftover from making a Christmas tree) for the spikes, tail, and a little bit of embellishment on the pants and hoodie. I stuffed the spikes, tail and spots with cotton balls to give them some dimension. The whole project cost less about $10 and a few hours of evening sewing.
I started by cutting Triangles for the spikes. I cheated and folded the fabric over so I only had to sew two sides of the triangle back together after I stuffed it with cotton balls to give it a bit of dimension. I then attached each spike to the hoodie sewing through the inside of the hoodie to the outside so you can see the stitches inside, but when the child is in the hoodie you can’t see them from the outside.
The Tail was two pieces sewn together. A figured out how to make a cone shape and then sewed the spikes to the cone. Both pieces are stuffed with cotton balls. I added a piece of fabric with some velcro for a belt. I then sewed on some spots stuffed with cotton balls on his pants and hoodie to add a little extra color and voila, a little dinosaur.
Now I have to figure out what to turn him into this year. Time flies in the fall and before I know it Halloween will be upon us again!